Join Us - Opportunities
The CLOUDS Lab at the University of Melbourne, Australia is always looking for talented, bright, dedicated individuals with passion for research, development, and innovation to join us. You can work with us in various ways:
- Research Student: You can join us as a research student interested in doing Honours, Masters or Ph.D. by research degree at the University of Melbourne. For further information, please see our own notes, our School page, and university page for information on how to apply for admission. Please note that our University considers those students with over 80 percentage of marks in the last two years of their education for scholarships that cover both tuition fee and living expenses. In reality, students (especially international ones) need to have much better academic record (say over 85%) to win scholarship. CLOUDS Lab will accept students with such scholarly record with solid and major background in computing science or related areas. If you meet these requirements and interested in conducting R&D with us, please contact the Director of CLOUDS Lab with your CV containing full academic details, marks scored in each semester/year, details on your current expertise in topics pursued by us, projects carried out so far, etc.
- Course Work-based Student: If you are currently a course-work based undergraduate or postgraduate student at the University of Melbourne and wants to do a project in Cloud computing, please contact us, preferably in person so that we can discuss a suitable project.
Generally, such students are expected to study our Master of Distributed Computing (especially cluster and grid computing subject) before carrying out any project within the CLOUDS lab.
- Research Fellow/Software Engineer: We employ Post Doctoral researchers or software engineers to support our R&D activities. Whenever we have such openings, we list them below:
- If you have recently submitted your PhD thesis or planning to submit one in the near future in the area of Cloud computing (or related topic), please contact the Director of CLOUDS Lab along with your CV - so that we can discuss potential/upcoming opportunities in advance!
- Research Collaborator: We love to work/collaborate with you irrespective of where you come from. All that we expect form you is a passion for what you want to do, shared vision and willingness to put some time and energy so that our collaborative work can succeed. The members of CLOUDS lab have successful collaborated with many researchers around the world. Some of our collaborators were/are students or professors from national and international universities, computer industries, scientists interested in applying computing technologies to enable new science, engineering, business, etc.
- Research Visitor:
Our research lab welcomes and accommodates academic visitors and exchange students, to carry out collaborative research
- (a) If you are interested in working with us in collaboration and want to visit our Lab and the University as a PostDoc/researcher funded by your organization or your government, we will be pleased to host you and provide access to our facility and office space. The duration of such visit can range from few days to a year.
- (b) If you want to visit us to explore collaboration, learn more about our work, or happen to be in Australia and want to visit us, we will be happy to host your visit -- and we assuming that you visit is funded by your own institution! We generally encourage our visitors to present a school level seminar on their work.
- Govt. funding sources: Apart from your own sources, you can also try your Govt. programs that support international collaborations. Here are pointers to some of them:
- Indian "Better Opportunities for Young Scientists in Chosen Areas of Science & Technology (BOYSCAST)" program
- US NSF - Developing Global Scientists and Engineers
- Australian Govt. Endeavour Research Fellowships for PhD students/PostDoc's to visit Australia
- French-Australian Science and Technology Programme (FAST)
- Edward Clarence Dyason Universitas 21 Fellowship-for exchange visit of researchers between Melbourne and Universitas 21 member universities.
- many other countries have such/similar programs, please contact your national research funding agencies for details. Example: (1) Korean Research Foundation
- Industry and government collaboration: Conducting industrially relevant research and consultancy is one of the major objectives of our research group. To explore collaborative opportunities, please contact the Director.